DC fans around the world mourned en masse on Wednesday as British actor Henry Cavill said he would no longer wear a red cape as Superman in the DC Comics extended cinema universe.
Fans were stunned when this came after Cavill announced he would be returning as the Man of Steel in October. Cavill even made a cameo as Superman in a scene in the middle of the credits at the end of the DC movie “Black Adam” starring Dwayne Johnson. (CNN and DC Films are part of the same parent company, Warner Bros. Discovery.)
Cavill announced on Instagram that he had a conversation with filmmaker James Gunn and British filmmaker Peter Safran, who was elected co-chairs and CEOs of DC Studios in October.
“I’m not going back as Superman after all,” wrote Cavill. “After I told them to announce I was back in October before they were hired by the studio, this news isn’t quite easy, but that’s life. Changing the guard is something that happens. I respect that.”
“Superman is still around,” said Cavill, although he didn’t get the role back.
“Everything he advocated is still there, and the examples he gave us are still there!” He wrote. “It’s past my turn to put on the cloak, but what Superman represents will never happen. It’s been a fun journey up and forward with all of you.
Gunn also moved to social media Wednesday, he and Safran tweeted, “There’s a DC list ready to start, we can’t go too far on this one; At the beginning of the new year we will be able to share some exciting information about our first projects.”
“Among those on the slate is Superman. In the early stages, our story will focus on an earlier chapter in Superman’s life, so Henry Cavill won’t be playing the character,” Gunn said.
Gunn then began answering questions from fans and confirmed, among other things, that he had been writing a Superman movie for a while and that it would not be a debut movie.
Wednesday’s announcement also comes just after Cavill’s departure from the Netflix series “The Witcher,” in which he starred for three seasons. Actor Liam Hemsworth will replace him.
CNN, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Films reached its representatives.
Gunn and Safran have been re-evaluating the studio’s project roster since their appointment, and some decisions have been making the headlines lately. On Tuesday, director Patty Jenkins spoke about news that the studio won’t be moving forward with the third installment of the “Wonder Woman” franchise.