Former Counter-Terrorism Official Says Meghan Markle Is Facing ‘Disgusting and Very Real’ Threats from the Far Right

top line

One of the UK’s former top counter-terrorism officials said that anyone who receives messages like Markle “will always feel threatened”, saying Meghan Markle faced multiple threats to her life from the far right after marrying the British royal family. ”

important facts

Basu said the Met’s counterterrorism division, which oversees much of London, has teams investigating threats against Markle, and people are being prosecuted for those threats.

“If you had seen and received what was written … you would have always felt threatened,” Basu said of Markle’s experience.

Basu attributed the threats to Markle’s life to the rise in the United States. far right extreme terrorism In Britain, which he says is the fastest growing threat he has seen during his tenure with the Agency (he resigned from his most recent post as Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations on Monday).

Representatives of the Sussexes did not immediately respond. forbes‘ request for comment.

Tangent

Harry and Meghan stepped back from life as senior royals in 2020, along with their son Archie, whose daughter Lilibet was born last year and is named after Harry’s grandmother, the late Queen II. They moved to California, taking it from Elizabeth. In May, a British court ruled that Harry had the right to oppose the British government, after a committee ruled that Harry and his family would not be able to enjoy police protection during their visit to England, even if the Sussexes financed security. Harry’s lawyers said the prince did not feel safe visiting his home country under current security arrangements.

Key Background

Markle said last year that the online harassment she’s faced since her marriage to royalty feels “almost unsustainable”, adding that she was told she was the most trolled person on the internet in 2019. An analysis of Twitter data last year revealed that the majority of abuses targeting Markle on the Platform were part of what appears to be a coordinated attack by a relatively small number of users. According to a report by Bot Sentinel, a Twitter analytics service, nearly 70% of the hateful content directed at Harry and Markle was written by just 83 Twitter accounts. In 2019, two British teenagers were jailed on terrorism charges for posting a series of neo-Nazi terrorist social media posts, including calling Harry a “racial traitor” for marrying Meghan and threatening to kill the prince. Earlier this year, a couple of podcast hosts in London were put on trial for allegedly demanding that Prince Harry be “judicially killed for treason” for his marriage to Markle and having a mixed-race child. an abomination.”

further reading

Meghan Markle’s New Round of Abuse: Scorns and Conspiracy Theories During Return After Queen Elizabeth’s Deathforbes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *