Airbnb comes under fire for suspected carbon monoxide deaths, faces wrongful death lawsuit

Three families who allegedly died of carbon monoxide poisoning while their loved ones stayed in an apartment in Mexico City have filed a planned lawsuit against Airbnb.

The family of the trio, who allegedly died of carbon monoxide poisoning, is now urging the short-term rental company to mandate detectors on properties it lists to prevent future tragedies.

Kidde smoke and carbon monoxide detector on light wood surface, Lafayette, California. (Gado/Getty Images / Getty Images)

“Our main goal is to try to notify those who plan to use short-term rentals like Airbnb,” said Jennifer Marshall, whose son Jordan Marshall died during the Airbnb rental. “We want to pressure Airbnb to regulate and enforce carbon monoxide detectors in the future. It’s the only way to honor our children.”

DJ KHALED LISTS MIAMI SNEAKER CABINET FOR $11 NIGHT ON AIRBNB

L. Chris Stewart, attorney of Atlanta-based Stewart Miller Simmons Trial Attorneys firm, said that it is planned to file a wrongful death lawsuit against Airbnb because of the incident.

“We’re asking Airbnb to require detectors on all of its recordings,” he said. “They’ve put international and national bans on parties, guns and cameras. They could easily mandate carbon monoxide detectors as well. They know they’re killing people in their rental homes. We know of at least three more cases.”

Stewart said they were waiting for more information from investigators in Mexico to identify “all defendants” before filing the case.

Airbnb app

This photo illustration shows the Airbnb app displayed on a smartphone screen. (Thiago Prudencio/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images/Getty Images)

On October 30, high school friends Jordan Marshall and Kandace Florence were found dead in their high-rise Airbnb apartment in an upscale neighborhood while visiting Mexico for “Dia de Muertos” with Courtez Hall, Marshall’s friend from New Orleans. Day of the Dead.

According to reports, Florence contacted her boyfriend in the US to say she was sick, and she contacted the Airbnb host to check them out. Authorities later found all three dead.

“Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones mourning an unbelievable loss. Our priority right now is to support those affected as authorities investigate what happened,” the online rental company said in a statement.

BEST STATES TO LIVE IN AMERICA THIS YEAR: REPORT

Airbnb said it is suspending registration and canceling upcoming reservations pending investigation of the incident.

Airbnb said it has yet to confirm that carbon monoxide exposure was responsible for the deaths, but noted that it runs a global program that has provided free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to more than 200,000 ordered hosts so far.

Airbnb says it’s working with Mexican authorities to promote security practices among hosts and is updating its detector program to speed up shipments in the country.

He added that the site allows potential guests to filter their searches by hosts who report having detectors, and to flag reservations that don’t have detectors.

Figures are seen in front of the Airbnb logo in this image taken on February 27, 2022. (Reuters/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo / Reuters Photos)

Jennifer Marshall said she hopes the deaths of her son and friend will be an example to other travelers.

“We want people to rethink how they vacation,” Marshall said. “Even if we don’t get any disappointing action from Airbnb, we hope this raises the awareness of many. If we can’t trust companies to prioritize safety for their customers, we need to make sure we do it for ourselves.”

Kandace’s mother, Freida Florence, said shedding light on Airbnb’s “shortcomings” is a priority.

BIDEN’S ADMINISTRATION NOTIFYING BORROWERS THAT THEIR STUDENT LOAN IS APPROVED FOR FORGIVENESS

“We want our citizens to take precautions,” he said. “They don’t and don’t require homeowners to warrant a carbon monoxide detector. Doing so can really save lives. We don’t want other families to experience what we went through.”

Florence also urged the public to call on their lawmakers to help solve the problem.

Our companies know better and should do better.”

Airbnb did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

News of the death came just months after three Americans died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Sandals resort on the Bahamas’ Greater Exuma island.

Police said the two couples who reported feeling sick on the night of May 5 were seen by paramedics.

CLICK HERE TO REACH FOX JOB IN MOTION

The next day, Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida, were found dead in their villa.

Chiarella’s wife, 65, Donnis, was flown to the capital, Nassau, for further treatment and is the only survivor of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *